Monday, November 26, 2007

What price did you choose?


Recently a survey was made following the release of Radiohead's 7th LP, In Rainbows, where people shared information on how much they had payed for the album.


Here are a few examples of what people said:

£40.00 (United Kingdom)
Discbox. I've never come across a Radiohead album that i didn't like so i
don't think i'm taking much of a risk paying full whack. I think other artists
who think they've got a massive fanbase (50 cent for one) still wouldn't have
the balls to do something like this, besides it's not really about the money
with Radiohead and that's what i respect about them. I've bought many albums
this year which i regret, paying about a tenner for 3 good singles and umpteen
shoddy/rushed/lazy 'filler' tracks is a joke.

£2.50 (United States)
I payed 2.50, but I'm still undecided about getting the
discbox. If I don't, I'll pay them more. If the album's especially awesome, I'll
pay them even more. I love the concept of 'tipping' a band, being able to show
support in a more intimate way, even for a band as big as Radiohead.

£2.00 (United Kingdom)
the price they would receive through standard distribution of their record
after the appropriate deductions, plus a litte bit more (i think)

£0.00 (United Kingdom)
I'm not even sure I like Radiohead, I found OK Computer really hard going.
So I'm taking a (free) punt and seeing what it's like, either I'll become a new
fan or continue on my way.

£7.00 (United States)
pay up. this means more than just a price of a cd.

£3.00 (United Kingdom)
Seems like a fair price with low overhead of distribution. They're happy,
I'm happy, we're all happy.

£0.01 (United Kingdom)
I'm going to get the box set later in the year, so I don't feel guilty at
all paying 1p for it.



The survey has been closed now and various magazines have used its results.

For more details go to


If you didn't get a chance to participate in the survey The Phillovers would be delighted to hear how much you payed in the comments for this blog.
Thanks to Phil McKenna for the tip

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey phil, radiohead is my favorite band! i love you guys can you tell me when your los angeles concert will be? wish you the best luck